An estimated 783 million people will go to sleep hungry tonight. From war to global pandemics to natural disasters and overall economic downturn, a number of factors have caused this number to double since 2020.
Southern Baptists continue to show up for food-insecure communities by giving on Global Hunger Sunday and praying for sustainable hunger solutions worldwide through Send Relief projects. Here are six practical ways you can pray for families and communities experiencing undernutrition:
“Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Don’t let your heart be troubled or fearful.” John 14:27
- Pray for an end to the war in Ukraine. John 14:27 tells us that God has given us peace that is of another world so that we won’t be troubled. Millions were forced to flee the only place they called home in the aftermath Russia’s violent invasion of Ukraine. Today, one in three families in Ukraine aren’t sure where their next meal will come from, and refugee families who have fled the country are now facing extreme hunger on their journeys towards safety. The fallout of the war has been widespread and devastating, causing a hike in global grain prices and deepening hunger in countries around the world. Join us in praying for an end to the war, for Ukrainians to find regular access to healthy meals and for global food prices to decline.
“I am the bread of life,” Jesus told them. “No one who comes to me will ever be hungry, and no one who believes in me will ever be thirsty again.” John 6:35
- Pray for the drought and famine currently underway along the Horn of Africa. These communities are facing the worst drought of the past half century, with four failed rain seasons, high inflation and fertilizer shortages exacerbating an already difficult situation. We know from John 6:35 that God is the Bread of Life, so join us in praying for both physical and spiritual food for the countries experiencing the most extreme conditions, namely Ethiopia, Kenya and Somalia.
“Don’t neglect to show hospitality, for by doing this some have welcomed angels as guests without knowing it.” Hebrews 13:2
- Pray for the ongoing global refugee crises, including hotbeds like Sudan, Venezuela and Afghanistan. There are now more than 100 million displaced people around the world – a number that has more than doubled in the last ten years alone. Hebrews 13:2 commands that we welcome strangers with hospitality and open hearts. Pray that refugee families would experience grace and mercy from our Savior through caring believers in whatever contexts they may find themselves in.
“ He gives food to every creature. His faithful love endures forever.” Psalms 136:25
- Pray for the rising cost of food and the global inflation rates causing them. In Psalms 136:25, God is the provider of all food everywhere because of His unfailing love. Intentionally intercede for impoverished and underserved communities, asking God to continue to provide and help families struggling to keep food on the table find sustainable sources of income and nutrition.
“Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” Mathew 25:40
- Pray for Send Relief’s ongoing hunger projects to flourish and multiply across countries. In Matthew 25, we’re told that when we feed the hungry and care for the vulnerable, we’re not just helping our fellow man—we’re helping Christ. With that in mind, pray for as many families as possible to hear the good news as Send Relief partners around the world provide hot meals and groceries in their time of need.
“The person who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and the person who sows generously will also reap generously.” 2 Corinthians 9:6
- Pray for a record-setting giving day this Global Hunger Sunday, that Southern Baptists would be moved to unprecedented generosity in the face of the world’s worst hunger crisis in 40 years. We know from 2 Corinthians 9:6 that when we “sow generously” and cheerfully, we will also “reap generously.” There are few things more fulfilling than knowing you have left an eternal legacy of love and care, so pray for a spirit of generosity on August 27.
One hundred percent of gifts given on Global Hunger Sunday go to support life-changing Send Relief hunger projects both at home and around the globe!
Whether you celebrate by praying or donating, encourage your church to participate in Global Hunger Sunday, August 27, by downloading our free promotional resources—including videos, bulletin inserts, Sunday School discussion questions and more—here.
Published July 21, 2023