While you’re still trying to figure out how to use all the leftovers from your Thanksgiving feast, refugees around the world are wondering where they will find their next meal.
For only $30, you can provide the answer to that question for a family in crisis.
This Giving Tuesday, we wanted to feed 1,000 refugee families. $30,000 sounds like a big goal. But your $30, plus someone else’s $30, plus another $30, and so on and so on and so on, made this life-transforming number possible.
Here are five ways your gift of a food box can meet physical and spiritual needs of migrant communities around the globe:
1. Missionaries at the Atlanta Ministry Center are working with a local Afghan grocery store to serve refugees. Whenever a new Afghan family arrives in Clarkston, the grocery store delivers a welcome basket with food, drinks and specialty items from home waiting for them by the front door of their new home. This small act of intentional kindness has made many families feel seen and known during a traumatic season of life.
2. Send Relief’s Denver Ministry Center hosts community cookouts in neighborhoods filled with refugees from all over the world. Since many of these refugee families are new arrivals struggling to find work during the pandemic, the food at these events has often sustained them through the weekends. These cookouts also offered a low-pressure, fun environment in which refugees could meet their neighbors and build relationships with local church leaders who were able to share the gospel with them.
3. In Central and South Asia, Send Relief partners are helping the first wave of Afghan refugees find the lodging, meals and resources that they need to survive. Because of how overwhelmed refugee camps are with this new influx of need, many families are sleeping on the streets with their small children. Nearly 1,000 of these newly arrived evacuees—including Christians who had to flee the Taliban—are now receiving food boxes.
4. Over the last four years, over 5 million people from Venezuela have been forced to flee due to economic and political unrest. Most of these refugees must trek the Andes mountains to reach freedom on the other side, so Send Relief partners established a mission house along this escape route. This mission provides hot showers, laundry services, medical attention and hot meals for weary travelers. More than 100 refugees receive food rations every single day on their families’ journey to a better life.
5. Thailand is an in-between stop for many refugee families on their way to other countries they hope to call home. Knowing this, Send Relief has partnered with local churches in the country to share food and toiletry items with families who fled their nations of origin. Refugees receive two bags of cooking essentials every month, along with a gospel presentation.
These are just a few of the many ways that your gifts make a long-lasting impact on one of the world’s most vulnerable populations. And with your help, we can bring relief and comfort to even more refugees this Giving Tuesday!
Click here to make your donation for Giving Tuesday!
Published November 4, 2021