More than 50,000 people have been killed and tens of thousands more injured in a devastating earthquake that struck southern Turkey and northern Syria the morning of Monday, February 6.
One of the strongest earthquakes to hit the region in over a century, search and rescue teams are still finding bodies under the rubble and estimate that tens of thousands of residents will need immediate medical attention.
The 7.8 magnitude quake has had at least 1,600 recorded aftershocks, leaving many neighborhoods and entire city blocks completely flattened.
Send Relief is working with local partners and churches in Syria and Turkey to respond to critical needs. Within hours of the disaster, local partners began providing blankets, water bottles, food and other emergency supplies in impacted neighborhoods.
In the months to come, Send Relief partners will continue to provide food, heating supplies, trauma counseling and more to thousands of displaced families.
Your gifts to our International Respond to Crisis Fund are vital to these efforts. You can give today using the give form below.
We ask that Southern Baptists unite in prayer for those affected by this sudden disaster.
Videos From the Field
- Send Relief Responds to Critical Needs After Turkey-Syria Earthquake
- Turkey-Syria Earthquake: Your Gifts are Making an Impact
- Help Send Relief Respond to Turkey-Syria Earthquake
- Churches in Turkey Need Your Support
- Thank You For Supporting Earthquake Victims
- Pray for the millions of people displaced from their homes and sleeping in the streets across Southeast Turkey and Northern Syria. Pray for the people who have no place to go and weathering the cold in search of shelter. Pray that the Lord would be their stronghold in times of trouble (Psalm 9:9).
- Three major airports were damaged in the earthquakes, which has severely limited international rescue and relief efforts. Pray that roads and runways would be opened soon so that help can arrive swiftly.
- In Syria, the areas impacted were already experiencing severe shortages of food, water, electricity and heat. With over four million internally displaced peoples in the affected region of Syria, the casualties are expected to be great. Pray for the few believers in this area to show the love of Christ to their neighbors.
- In Turkey, pray for the local churches and believers to respond as the hands and feet of Christ. Pray for Turks who are feeling lost and hopeless—that the God who Sees would meet them where they’re at and reveal the unending love of Christ.
- Pray for one church in Southeast Turkey whose building was destroyed by the earthquake. Praise the Lord that the church is not a building, but the people of God! Pray that God strengthens them as they rebuild and that the body of Christ would grow in numbers and strength.
Give Online to the Turkey-Syria Earthquake
From The Field
From the Field: Disaster Relief Teams Report From TurkeyBy the Missouri and Texas Disaster Relief Water Purification Teams in Turkey It is difficult to …
From the Field: Holding on to Hope Amid the Turkey-Syria Earthquake AftermathI am having a really difficult time processing all of what I have seen and experienced …
From the Ground: Churches Respond to Turkey-Syria EarthquakeAs survivors struggle to find shelter in southern Turkey and Syria after a 7.8 magnitude earthquake …
From the Field: Water Filtration Teams Help With Earthquake RecoveryBy the Missouri and Texas Disaster Relief Water Purification Teams in Turkey We had another long …
Major earthquake rocks Turkey and Syria, kills thousandsKAHRAMANMARAS, Turkey (BP) — A pair of earthquakes and a series of aftershocks have devastated portions …
Bryant Wright visits Send Relief ministry sites in Turkey earthquake zoneSOUTHERN TURKEY (BP) – Send Relief President Bryant Wright is on the ground amid the rubble …
Earthquake Recovery Efforts in the Rubble of Syria and TurkeyThe people of Syria and Turkey are reeling from the devastating 7.8 magnitude earthquake on February …
Turkey and Syria quakes’ death toll rising, Baptists respondingKAHRAMANMARAS, Turkey (BP) – Rescue efforts are still underway as the death toll continues to climb …